Support deprecate from CLI parameters

It’s a useful thing to be able to deprecate a lot of terms only with CLI parameters, otherwise it applies on all upload and it could be problematic

Can you please elaborate on this a bit more?

You can apply deprecate on the file level, which should solve this.

What I understood from the doc is I have to specify the deprecate option from within the localazy.json file. But I don’t want to deprecate all the time, on all my branchs. It would have been simplier if I could specify this with CLI args.

By file level what do you mean?

I see. This is not yet possible.

You could have two different localazy.json files and switch them using the command line parameter -c or you could have a script to first change the value in the file and then run localazy command.

If you specify "deprecate": "file", you don’t need to be afraid of deprecating the rest of the project, but I understand that it’s not what you need when uploading files from different branches.

I didn’t think about the two different files. This is a nice approach

We have improved support for extra parameters, so it’s now possible to do it like this:

{
  "upload": {
    "deprecate": "${deprecate}"
  }
}

with passing the argument to CLI: localazy upload -p deprecate:file

This feature is available in version 1.6.4. The full description is here:

1 Like

It’s a super powerful feature you just released! But can you make deprecate entry in localazy.json optional?
If I update my json with "deprecate": "{deprecate}" I can’t have a falsy value by default. I have to choose between file or project only.
Do you have a way to achieve this?

I’m adding a new none option to our list for a new iteration. Great idea!

At the moment, there are two workarounds you can use.

1. Pure CLI aka the super ugly one :slight_smile:

Since extra parameters are evaluated before the JSON is parsed, you could write your configuration like this:

{
    ${deprecate}   
    "files": "translations/*.json"    
    // ...
  }  
}

And then invoke the command this way to enable the deprecated feature:
localazy upload -p 'deprecate:"deprecate":"file",'

Or without deprecation:
localazy upload -p 'deprecate:'

However, it breaks the JSON structure.

2. The scripting one

You can have your localazy.json as usual and write a short script to add/remove the line using sed, awk or grep to create a new localazy.temp.json which will be used instead (and removed afterward).

E.g., something like this (for Linux) would be almost identical to localazy command (including parameters, except for -c) but would modify the localazy.json and use it automatically.

#!/bin/bash

grep -v "deprecate" localazy.json > localazy.temp.json

command=$1
shift

localazy "$command" -c localazy.temp.json "$@"

rm localazy.temp.json

If you place it under something like /usr/bin/localazy-no-deprecate, you can call it from anywhere on your system :slight_smile:

Technically, this solution is more flexible than extra parameters, but it’s platform-dependent and hence the newly introduced feature.

A possible improvement for the super ugly one :slight_smile:

The localazy.json file like this will be fully valid JSON:

{
    "${extraKey}": "${extraValue}",
    "files": "translations/*.json"    
    // ...
  }  
}

And you can run the CLI with the deprecate feature enabled like this:
localazy upload -p extraKey:deprecate -p extraValue:file

And without the deprecation:
localazy upload -p extraKey:keySeparator -p extraValue:.

The second invocation just set keySeparator to its default value and thus has no effect at all while providing a valid configuration.

1 Like

One more update :-))

We made a mistake in the group evaluation, so with the fix, we also added the none option:

With configuration:

{
    "deprecate": "${deprecate}"
  }
}

it’s possible to call CLI to select the deprecation mode dynamically:

localazy upload -p deprecate:project
localazy upload -p deprecate:file
localazy upload -p deprecate:none

1 Like