Interview: question mining on Quora with QApop

A company that hasn't tried data mining in this day and age is truly missing out. Its endless potential allows companies to get insights and identify business opportunities that help them shape their next marketing move. 300 million monthly users and a notably strong SEO authority make Quora a platform to watch, and there's a way of integrating it into your strategy with QApop, an automated marketing tool that combines data from Quora and SEO.

Today we chat with Fabian Maume, growth hacking consultant and co-founder of QApop, about the endless possibilities that question mining can offer. He also tells us how Localazy helped QApop in its journey to multilingual reach.

๐Ÿ—บ๏ธ Reaching Quora users

Hi Fabian! Can you introduce yourself and QApop?

Hi! I basically worked as a growth hacking consultant for various SaaS startups over the last 4 years. QApop is my first attempt at productizing some of my consulting services. I noticed that Quora was a good source of inbound leads for SaaS startups, so I created a data mining script to identify the most relevant questions to answer and get the most out of them. ย As it is a question-and-answer website, you can easily leverage it to rank on Google for some specific topic.

QApop was built on top of that data mining script and is now a full marketing suite to help with Quora marketing and content distribution on the platform.

Who are your customers?

As QApop focuses on Quora, our customers reflect Quora's audience. Most of our clients are from India ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ณ and the US ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ. We also have a big share of users from the Czech Republic, as it is where we are based, and a few clients from France.

"I noticed that Quora was a good source of inbound leads for SaaS startups, so I created a data mining script to identify the most relevant questions to answer and get the most out of it"

QApop's main goal is to help our users save time with Quora. Quora has more than 30 million questions ๐Ÿคฏ and it is quite time-consuming to find the most relevant one. With QApop, you can get a short list of the most relevant questions in just a few minutes. We also offer some AI copywriting tools, which save a lot of time when repurposing blog posts and answering questions. Our copywriting tool will extract the text from your blog post and summarize and paraphrase it, so it can easily be repurposed as a Quora answer.

Fabian, what is your opinion on the growing amount of spam questions on Quora? I mean questions such as "Can you share some photos worth 12000+ upvotes?" and "Which screenshot deserves 94M views?" and others? Does it affect the advertisers in any way? Why doesn't Quora do anything about it?

I do not think it is an issue. Those questions are indeed spam, but they are limited to a specific area of Quora. First, you can easily filter them out from your feed by muting those posts. And second, Quora has such strong SEO power that it will stay relevant for marketing even if some parts of the platform are getting spammed with memes.

Don't forget that most of Quora traffic comes from search engines (not from regular Quora users checking their feeds). Somebody who lands on Quora because he Googled, e.g., an alternative to Hotjar, won't see those spam memes. So answering Quora's questions about Hotjar is still highly relevant for a client such as Smartlook! ๐Ÿ˜‰

This spam could, in theory, impact your performance if you are running PPC ads on Quora, as you might get your ads displayed on such questions. But if you set up your targeting properly, that shouldn't be an issue. Quora offers you the option to target people based on the questions they visited, so you can easily target only a subset of Quora users.

Thank you for the clarification! I suppose QApop greatly helps filter this spam as well, thanks to its tools. Let's move on to that.

So, how do you get started with QApop?

We always recommend starting with a quick Quora audit. ๐Ÿ” This actually does not require creating a QApop account! You can just run one here. Within 2 minutes, it'll tell you how much traffic Quora is getting for your keyword and if it makes sense for you to dig deeper. Some topics are too niche for Quora to be relevant: that is why we created this quick audit tool.

If your topic is promising, you can dig deeper and get a more extensive list ๐Ÿ“„ of questions. Our AI tool can help you write answers faster. You should be able to see some results within 1 to 2 months.

Is there any feature that allows you to track specific keywords?

Yes! If you want to get even more out of Quora, we have a keyword monitoring tool to notify you of new questions in your niche. That is perfect to have full coverage on a specific topic.

Now I'm curious... ๐Ÿค” Which are the most common topics you see on Quora?

The most common topics on Quora have to do with career advice and financial investments. This isnโ€™t my area of expertise, so I havenโ€™t answered questions there. I personally answer questions about growth hacking, but unfortunately, it is quite a niche topic and isnโ€™t that popular on Quora.

Have you thought about creating similar software for other types of social media, like Reddit or other Q&A websites?

We already plan to expand into Reddit and Stack Overflow.

That's great news! ๐Ÿ‘ It will definitely help with information overload.

Software like QApop can definitely help with filtering. We are leaving in an information-heavy era. There is a crazy amount of information available on the internet, but it can be overwhelming and hard to leverage without filtration. Technology for data extraction, like web scraping, has also become really affordable.๐Ÿ‘Œ So the challenge is not to collect data anymore but rather to filter and make data actionable.

Particularly, data from social media is still badly indexed. There are already a few tools on the market, like Sparktoro and QApop, and Iโ€™m expecting far more of those tools to evolve in the future.

๐ŸŒ Data mining in more languages

You have recently added 5 new languages using Localazy. What is your motivation for offering localized services?

We havenโ€™t localized QApop in the strict sense of the term. The QApop interface is still only in English, and most of our marketing material is in English. However, we updated our data mining tool to be able to get data from local versions of Quora, like the French ๐Ÿ‡ซ๐Ÿ‡ท and German ๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช ones.

"We updated our data mining tool to be able to get data from local versions of Quora, like the French and German ones"

This allows our users to get even more out of Quora. โœŒ๏ธ This localization was also really useful for our European customers. We have some clients who focus only on the French or German market for which the English part of Quora was irrelevant. Supporting the local version of Quora enables us to expand our customer base.

What are your favorite Localazy features?

I think that the concept of Human-Assisted Machine Translations is really interesting. From my experience with AI-generated text, human proofreading is usually required to get the best results.

Any future plans for the localization of QApop?

Arabic and Dutch are the languages on the top of our waiting list. We are also considering localizing our AI copywriting tool, but this is far more complex as we would need to find a new NLP pipeline.

Thank you so much for your time, Fabian! Any questions? Then head over to QApop's website and find out how you can incorporate it into your automated marketing strategy. You can start with a free trial.

๐Ÿ† Get featured on the Localazy Blog

Do you love Localazy? Would you like to share your own success story? Head to the community section and apply for an interview now! We will promote your product on our blog, and you'll get rewarded for it! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Get featured on the blog - answer our questionnaire in the community section to get the ball rolling!

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://localazy.com/blog/interview-data-mining-on-quora-with-qapop